Tuesday, December 12, 2006


Cavatappi 2002 Molly's Cuvee Sangiovese


Winery: Cavatappi

Appalation: Yakima Valley

Alcohol: 14%
Cost: approx. $18
I spied this little number at my local wine shop last week and knew I had to try it. It's right up my alley, a Washington State Sangiovese produced by a small winery located in the basement of one of my favorite Italian resturaunts (Cafe Juanita). The first thing I noticed about the bottle was the lack of foil covering over the cork. I was a little worried about this, but figured, small winery and the foil doesn't really do much anyway....
Boy was I wrong. After pouring a little into a glass, the first wiff told me something was very wrong with this wine. Tasting it proved that this little sucker was cooked! The edges were brown and the thing tasted a little like port. Not good at all. In my younger days, I would have gutted it down, but now a days, these little gems end up down the drain. I bought two bottles, so I am hoping that the second one will meet a different fate. This winery also produces a grappa in conjunction with Clear Creek Distillery and a Nebbiolo.

2 comments:

JamaJama said...

Great new blob on wines. Ok. Try Cakebread. You will like that one.

JamaJama said...

i concur w/the cakebread. Hard to find here in the midwest. But Happy Harry's in Grand Forks had it. I buy it whenever i go. About $62 if you can believe it.